Friday, August 22, 2008

McDonald's à la française

When in France, you eat as the French do whether you want to or not. Once while in Paris with my family, a waiter vehemently refused to bring a well-done steak to our table. Our choice was bloody like the French like their steak, or not at all. We decided to opt for the salad.

Sometimes this stubbornness over cuisine quality is a welcomed surprise. While traveling recently in the South of France a friend suggested the McDonald’s breakfast. I’ve managed to avoid McDonald’s for the last several years but I reluctantly consented. It was Sunday and there weren’t many cafés open.

I was surprised to find the McDonald’s restaurant bright and cheery. Even more shocking to me was the stand-alone coffee bar equipped with a barista and a shiny espresso machine. My amazement soared when my macchiato arrived clinking in front of my in a white ceramic cup. It hit the roof when I saw my McDonald’s coffee decorated with an elaborate chocolate-syrup design. Quelle classe!

The French love to hate American fast-food, but for all that noise McDonald's is a huge hit in the country of haut-cuisine. That might be because the French have taken McDonald’s and adapted it to French taste. In France, McDonald's becomes "McDo": a more hip and tasty version of the American standard.

Some changes to the American menu include beer and the Croque McDo, a hot-ham-and-cheese sandwich popular in France.


The restaurant atmosphere is different too. In Paris' classy Champs-Élysées McDo, you can plug into the restaurant's music-listening stations and take your pick between new releases as you chow-down on “le Big Mac.” In Toulouse, customers sit on trendy barstools made of bicycle seats (you might have to search around for this particular McDo as not every restaurant owner boasts such a cycling affinity).


The downsides of the McDo experience in France? It’s more expensive and takes longer than in the States. I waited 5-minutes for my macchiato to be prepared and paid 2€60 for my drink and a slice of brioche. This is a bit cheaper than the normal 3€ for a macchiato in a local café, but not amazingly so.


If you’re ever in a pinch for time in France or trying to save your pennies on that frightening euro / dollar conversion rate, you might want to give McDo à la française a try. You won’t get the same 'ol Golden Arches you’re used to! On the other hand, it is a shame to waste your French eating experience on something that is still, in the end, McDonald’s.

No comments: